Monday, June 12, 2006

Minor project :: Audio Arts

On the 7th I recorded a 3rd Year Jazz Quintet. The group consisted of Drums (Dom), Bass (Dean), Piano (Nhan), Alto Sax (Lauren) and Guitar (Tim). It is great to record good musicians although doing it by myself was difficult. I would've liked to have spent more time trying some different mics out however this was difficult due to time restrictions and the lack of a spare set of hands. Overall I was happy with the recording and we recorded 5 tracks from which I chose 2 mix dwn. The first was titled Compromised and was composed by Nhan Phan, the piano player of the Group. The second was titled McKibbon Walks the Dog and was also composed by Nhan. It is good to hear such catchy music being composed here in the Conservatorium.

Here are some photos I took while recording.


Studio 1 - Recording


The Band


L-R Dean, Lauren, Tim


Dom on the drums

So after some technical issues, here's the songs!

McKibbon Walks the Dog, composed by Nhan Phan



Compromised, composed by Nhan Phan

4 Comments:

At 5:56 PM, Blogger Adrian said...

Just wanted to let you know that I wrote 100 hundreds on my perspectives essay whilst I listened to your songs. They sound pretty good.

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger Martin said...

Wow!
Tim, your recordings turned out great. They sound very clear and professional and do the compositions full justice. When I looked at your photos I had to laugh at the one with the musicians sitting in a row in front of the music stands, just because it was such a stark contrast to my session where we had equipment and leads running everywhere and not a music stand in sight. Those jazz boys and girls are on the ball. You've pulled this off wonderfully. Good stuff. But what is Adrian talking about that he wrote "100 hundreds"?

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger Adrian said...

I meant to say 100 words

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger Tim said...

Thanks guys. I'm impressed with how yours turned out Adrian, I had a listen to your while writing my perspectives essay aswell, although due to my slow work rate I don't think I got upto 100 words!

Yeah the guys (and girl) felt more comfortable sitting down particularly as they knew it was going to take a while and had a gig afterwards. It didn't really matter for the guitars however it made miking the sax challenging.
I'm gonna head to your blog now for a look martin.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home